[C38] wind instrument

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 16 16:16:53 EDT 2008

HI, Phil,
	I have no experience on these instruments.  I did get one from a "junk
sale" somewhere, but it has the same issues you spoke of, and I don't
have any manual.  I don't remember if it was a raymarine or not.  In any
event I did not get the book.  What I can tell you is that replacing the
connector should not be too bad a job, as long as you solder carefully
or get a suitable crimp on connection (I prefer crimp on for external
stuff).  Also once you have the connecton on, check it carefully for
shorts, and flex it while checking for bad joints.  Then pot well, wrap
well with the self sealing electrical tape and install with the right
hardware to avoid corrosion and some loctite to make sure it stays
secure.  There is no high frequency with these things, so impedance and
other RF type issues shouldn't bother you.  If you are going up to do
the work, make sure that when you are using any soldering tool, that it
is secured in such a way that if you drop it it won't swing against your
leg or body (don't ask how I know this one.)  That sudden jump could be
a LONG ONE!!

Regards,