[C38] Single line reefing

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue May 27 16:16:06 EDT 2008

To make the mainsheet easier to hand and bite a bit better on the winch
to help the admiral, I changed to 9/16" single braid.  This eases some
of the shock loads, and probably would not suit racers, but for cruising
or serious offshore, easing shock loads is good.  The stretch is about
3%, which will only change the boom angle a total of maybe .3-.4 inches
in total from the ideal as it takes a load.  Once loaded, it will not
stretch much more than other forms of line (excepting spectra).

	You sacrifice some acceleration out of a tack, some acceleration in a
puff (not too much though), and you gain ease of handling, better winch
bite, and ease of tailing.  It will hockle a bit if snagged, but not too
much and that can usually be smoothed out by flexing the line and
running it through a block at moderate load.

	For us old folks, the larger diameter is easier to grasp, not so hard
on beginning arthritis and nicer feel.

	About once a year I wrap it nicely, and place it in a mesh bag, then
wash it on gentle in the washing machine to remove dirt, grime and salt.
It has lasted 9 years, and looks good for another 3 or 4.

Regards,
Les H
JACE