[C38] One of my many projects

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 9 17:23:01 EDT 2008

Hi, Phil,
	You should probably clean the chain plate really well with some vinegar
(this is how the surface is passivated to begin with).  Then apply some
machinist die.  This will show any crevices.  Crevice corrosion occurs
to stainless with chlorine exposure, and can lead to chainplate failure
if not detected.  It doesn't take long, and can reveal if there is too
much corrosion.  Generally there will be some "scaring", but you should
not see any really dark deep lines.  A machinist can help you diagnose
if you have questions after you apply the die.

Regards,