[C38] Raw Water Bilge Pump

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Aug 26 01:58:18 EDT 2009

Since I am replacing hoses I have always liked the idea of a Tee in the Raw Water before the sea strainer run to a ball valve so that if needed the thru hull could be closed and the ball valve opened then the engine used as a secondary bilge pump.  My concern is that with lets say 10 feet of hose going to the bilge the impeller in the raw water pump would burn out before all the air was sucked out of the hose.  My thought is to add a male threaded barbed fitting at the end in the bilge and attach a brass spray nozzle, I could then open the system fill the hose with water like a garden hose, close the nozzle, close the ball valve and then the air problem is solved.  with the nozzle in place the system could  be used as a bilge pump by removing the nozzle or a fire hose by opening the ball valve and the seacock.   Any thoughts or experience?