[C38] Asym

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sun Jan 18 03:00:16 EST 2009

Steve,
    I may have been the post with measurements. If not, I can take them
off my PHRF certificate. On Macavity we have flown just the Asym chute
for several years and learned a lot. You need to have your sail-maker
get you something called a tacker. It fits around the furled sail (or
the headstay if you are using racing sails as we do and dropping them).
The tack line attaches to the tacker and then you attach it to the tack
of the chute. It protects the furled sail and keeps the tack of the
chute from falling off to leeward.
    We no longer use a snuffer as we found it created more problems than
it solved. With sufficient crew, the halyard person should drop the sail
slowly enough for the sewer person to pull it down the forward hatch.
The sewer person is below decks of course. We found that if you gybe the
sail outside, the lazy sheet wants to catch under the boat. If you tack
it inside, you need to pull it through briskly or it will get into
mischief. Rather than a snuffer we pull the sail through a plastic horn
and put rubber bands every few feet.
    We are installing a retracting sprit. We had to modify one leg of
the bow pulpit to let the sprit get down to deck level.Good riggers are
very busy in Santa Barbara so the installation has not yet been
completed but we hope to have it soon. When I do, I will post pictures.
            I have to get back to the helm of my Volvo Ocean Race Game
boat (I have 2). We have just left Singapore and are headed to China. It
is not too late to get in - you are getting too much sleep as it is. Joe
Launie/Macavity