[C38] Traveler Location?

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Sun Sep 13 22:41:33 EDT 2009

The number 1 problem I'm trying to solve is to be able to make a positive
seal between the dodger and the coach roof so as to give the companionway
some protection from rain, spray and worse.

The next is that with the big wood feet where they are there's barely
enough room to run two lines back from the mast and the winch has to be
mounted so far outboard there's no clearance for a winch handle to make a
full revolution, either outboard, or forward. I haven't settled on reefing
at the mast (which I have and has served us well) or leading back to the
cockpit. But I'd like to have the option.

The mainsheet option I'm looking at is a fiddleblock & becket w/snap
shackle to the toerail on each side, with a pair of fiddleblocks hung off
the end of the boom, hopefully giving a good sheeting angle and even a
little vanging action from the offside sheet. Untidy, by easily
demountable when the boat's at rest. Or at least that's the theory.

Of course by the time all those blocks and line are bought, I could just
about get a Gauhauer traveler with feet that would let lines pass under
and mount that just forward of the hatch. My hesitation is that it looks
awfully far forward on the boom.

Some good news. Your tiller is in and looks great! And I've got my Aries
back on the boat and tuned to where it responds to the slightest puff. I
also found a cunning way to take up the last bit of slack in the lines
(run each of  the control lines through a block and then use a second line
to lift it to pull the control line tight.) I can't wait to get it hooked
up with the tiller and see how it works.