[C38] two free sails left

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 8 16:56:17 EST 2010

Dear C38ers:
I have two sails left. They are both 100% dacron Head Sails, vintage
about 1990, 1991. They are both in what sail resellers classify as good
to good+ shape. Neither has tears or more than trivial abrasion. Both at
dirty at the foot, where they drug over the lifelines in coming about.
They are from Discreet Charm's (nee /Chanteuse/) days in Southern
California, where big head sails are normal in the light winds. Neither
would be much use for cruising up here in SF Bay, where the wind does
blow. I had contemplated having them re cut down to 90% or so, but
really don't need more sails.  They take up room in my garage and the
110% that we bought from Lee last year is perfect. Over 24 knots of wind
(which is about 60% of our sailing days), I have to reef for marital
purposes anyway.

Finally, we have had dry weekend, and I have been able to take the sails
out of the bags Failure to do this earlier led to the embarrassment of
confusing a #1 with a 130% genoa for one of the good C38ers.

The sails that I have left are:
1. an all purpose #1 (photos of which I have posted on
http://c38sails.blogspot.com/). This sail has luff tape for an old
fashioned foil, way too big for most furlers, as you can see on the
photos. * Note that a #1 is a big sail*, about a 155%. The foot is about
26' 8" (I was alone yesterday and unable to get a perfect measurement of
the foot). length).

2. a 130% genoa, which I didn't photograph. It is in roughly the same
shape as the A/P #1.   This is a smaller sail than the #1, which one can
tell by attempting to heft the bags.  This sail has no  luff tape, it
has been removed .

I will UPS these sails to C38 people for the cost of the shipping.

regards, Don

--
Donald R. Strong
C38 Discreet Charm