[C38] prop question

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 12 15:23:15 EST 2010

Dear Dan:
  Our C38 is sensitive to prop size and pitch. We have a pretty new
Yanmar 3GM that really puts out the power. The max rpms in smooth water
& no wind vary with the state of the bottom and with the erosion of the
prop (a Flex-o-Fold) due to electrolysis (a long story that I have told
the members of the list serve several times; funky grounding at our dock
which dissolved the key and the prop. It recently has been repaired.).
Unless you are pulling your boat to the hard all the time and adjusting
pitch, I would suggests that you learn to live with a prop that is a
little bit off one way or another. And, you want a good prop person to
install the right size. That said, you should listen to people on the
list serve who are wiser. I'm sort of a seat of the pants type when it
comes to spending thousands to pull the boat and finely adjust the prop.
    As for punching into chop and seas, the pitch doesn't seem to make
as much difference as the rpm on Discreet Charm. But, do listen to the
rest of the list serve.
Enjoy your C38, we have! Don

ssorton at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Dan,  I'm not sure a 18" diameter prop will clear your hull, as I've
> not heard of anybody using that large a diameter.  I would call Marten
> (562-435-4494) and get their advice.
> We had a 16 x 14 Marten and went to a Slipstream geared prop of 16 x
> 11 prop- also sold by Marten and cruise at 2200-2400 with your same
> engine.
> Cheers, Steve Orton

Donald R. Strong
Professor