[C38] New Owner w/Roller and prop question

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Tue Jan 12 19:34:58 EST 2010

Hi Dan,

I have a 1981 C38 (hull #122) with a Universal 5424 diesel
engine.   It originally had a Martec 2 blade folding prop that was
15" x 13".  The prop got to the point that Martec said not to send it
in again for refurbishment (it turns out they only last 20+
years...), so I researched what size would be best for the
boat.  After many hours on the Internet, phone discussions with Gary
at Martec (he is very knowledgeable) and a little experimentation, I
determined that the best fit would be a 16" x 12" version.   I wanted
to go with a 16" x 13" (I even had one), but I was a little concerned
about even a little extra load on the engine as it is original and
has never been rebuilt.

The advantage of the larger pitch is the ability to power through
chop.  The consensus was that 16" was the largest diameter that would
work properly on the C38, based on the boat's design.   So the
increase in load due to the larger diameter (16" vs 15") was offset
by the decrease in pitch (12" vs 13").

Overall, I am very satisfied with the results and would recommend the
Martec 16" x 12" prop.  If your engine is larger and/or newer, you
might consider the 16" x 13", but the 12" would certainly be safe.

Regards,

David
#122 SuperStar, Marina del Rey

At 06:47 PM 1/3/2010, you wrote:
>We (Dan & Marcy Miller) recently purchased C-38 Hull #108 "Blonde
>Stranger". I'm sure it has the original Hood Roller Furling.
>Was it a #6 or #7 luff tape system? If it was a #6, could a #7 fit
>or would it be too tight? I've read in other listserve questions here
>that a Martec 16x12 is overpropped for the boat. We will be bringing
>the boat to the Chesapeake Bay where it is rare to have
>5 and 6 foot seas. I have the oportunity to get an 18x12 Martec III.
>If I would normally run the 2454 engine between 1800 and
>2200 rpms, do you think I would be okay? In my experience on the
>bay, most storms only have the oportunity to generate
>3 and 4 foot seas. My direct email is
><mailto:millsdan at verizon.net>millsdan at verizon.net . Any and all
>replies would be appreciated. I'm also sure I will be asking more
>questions in the future. Thanks, Dan

David Epstein
President, Sound Solutions
Chairman, CEA TechHome Division
Member of the CEA Board of Industry Leaders
Member, CEA Division Executive Board
Tel 310.398.0032
Fax 310.398.0036
www.soundsolutions.com