[C38] Separation Anxiety

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Wed Jan 13 20:23:18 EST 2010

Put this one in the FWIW file.

When I bought INTEMPERANCE (ex Searching) the cabinet doors on the dresser
and above the settee showed that the bulkhead between the two wasn't in
the same position as it was when the boat left the factory.

In the course of the owning/sailing the boat it seemed like maybe it was
continuing to move, but when something happens just a little at time it's
hard to know if you're imaging it.

Then we did the triple-reefed beat across the Gulf Stream, pound our way
through 4 sec seas. No doubt, it was moving!

So here's the story:

To route a duct aft, whoever did the A/C installation completely cut away
the liner between the base of the dresser and the base of the settee; and
put a false floor in the locker under the settee. I didn't know enough to
look under it, and even at $800, my surveyor didn't either.

So it's buyer beware on both counts.

No big worries, I'll taking a gentle sail over to St.Croix where a (much)
more experienced friend is going to help me fix it (we're also moving the
galley to where the settee and making a second quarter berth for daughter
two where the galley is now.)

Anyway, maybe this will help someone down the line.

-David