[C38] bad injector on Universal 5424

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Mar 24 19:23:30 EDT 2010

Jonathan,
I would certainly look at your exhaust, but your comments regarding the
smoke and fuel coming from the injector suggest you know the problem.  I
am with Tom (as usual) regarding Nigel Calder's comments...  Due to
problems with fuel contamination, the injectors are usually not too
difficult to remove.  Below are the instructions from the Universal 5424
manual regarding removal (the entire manual is available for download at
our website).  It is a tight squeeze on the starboard side of the engine
and the modifications discussed lately regarding port sail locker and
the inspection port on the starboard, captain's berth will serve you
well on this.
I think you must remove the offending injector as fuel spraying is a
definite symptom of a clogged injector.  That suggests the high pressure
fuel is not able to make it through the injector to the excess bypass
port that allows excess fuel to flow back to the tank.   And of course,
that means you are getting lousy combustion on at least one cylinder.
Injector cleaning is pretty easy, but Tom's comments regarding
cleanliness are absolutely critical!   If you can get to all of the
injectors, this might be a good time to have a good look at the (and
cleaning) to check for cracks and wear.  Most of our engines don't get
near the hours that would cause wear, but what the heck, they are out
already!

Good luck and please let us know what turns up!
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes

Basic tools required:
(A) - 10 MM Socket wrench
(B) - 13 MM Socket wrench
(C) - 17 MM Open end wrench
(D) - 12 MM Box end wrench
(E) - 27 MM Socket (1-1/16")

FUEL INJECTORS:
Fuel injectors should be removed and taken to a qualified diesel engine
repair center to be tested for
leakage and spray pattern, if poor engine performance such as, loss of
power, rough or uneven running,
sudden notice of dark exhaust, or engine becomes hard to start.
REMOVING INJECTORS:
1. Clean the area around the injectors before removing.
2. Loosen nuts holding fuel lines to injector pump and injector nozzles
and remove fuel lines
(Tool C).
3. Loosen nuts on return line adaptors and remove adaptors (Tool C).
4. Loosen injectors using (Tool E) and remove injectors.
REPLACING INJECTORS:
1. Check to be sure contact surfaces and area around injectors is clean.
2. Replace injectors in the same cylinder from which they were removed.
3. Torque required to properly seat the injectors will be between 43 and
58 ft./lbs.
4. Replace fuel return lines and secure nuts.
5. Replace all fuel lines and secure all nuts.
6. After all injectors, fuel lines and hoses have been replaced and are
secured, the fuel system
will have to be bled. (Refer to bleeding instructions in this manual).
The fuel injection pump has been set at the factory and should need no
adjustment. Any apparent
problem with the pump should be referred to a qualified diesel mechanic
or to a Universal Diesel
dealer as advised.