[C38] Bottom Paint

Peggy Droesch saintpeg at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 12:44:46 EDT 2010

Steve,

When we bought our boat 2 years ago the previous owner had just applied a
single-season paint -- Sea Hawk Sharkskin -- which lasted for a good 18
months in San Francisco Bay, with the occasional dockside scrub & a dive
service at regular intervals, until our diver told us it was time for a
haulout.  [We sail almost every weekend, but we don't race.]  At haulout it
was in good condition, no significant soft growth other than a beard at the
waterline & the usual all-over slime.

I don't like the notion of putting toxics into the Bay so ablative paint
was never an option.  Bob Hennessy, our project manager at KKMI, had
originally recommended Trinidad SR but steered us to Blue Water Copper Pro
SCX 67 Hard, which he said was virtually the same paint as Trinidad but
significantly less expensive -- saved us $180.  This paint got a good
rating from Practical Sailor which is one of our main sources for product
info.

That said, I'd follow any recommendation I got from Cree at Berkeley Marine
-- he has a very good rep up here.  Productive dockside conversations & a
project manager that you trust make a world of difference.

Peggy
The C38 With No Name, #231
Point Richmond