[C38] New Catalinas 38 owner: Boom Rigging

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Apr 21 17:23:48 EDT 2010

Welcome aboard Alex!
As to your first inquiry, there is a schematic showing the "outhaul and
gooseneck" setup on our website in the Specifications area.  You will
also see many brochures, diagrams, etc.
My outhaul is strung through the boom to the outhaul winch mounted on
the starboard side of the boom.
Regarding the topping lift....  I have gone back and forth with the idea
of installing another cleat on the port side of the boom that I can
secure the topping lift without leaving the cockpit.  Can't even begin
to count the times I have had to go forward to tighten or loosen this
line!   Certainly the best answer is what many of our folks have done
with the vang, but I bet you have a looonng list of projects and a short
checkbook right after your purchase!

All the best,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114