[C38] Flying a spinnaker

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Oct 15 14:02:51 EDT 2010

  Wow!
Steve and Larry, what do you do about the weather helm! I keep a 1.5
aboard for my single handed efforts (I use and ATN spinnaker sock and
ATN sleeve).  While I am crazy enough to fly it by myself in 3-15 knot
winds, I have found that it gets way too complicated after that as my
autopilot cannot keep up.   But, when I have had a crew with at least
one good helmsman, I have flown it in up to 25 knots with gusts.  At 25
knots DDW, the weather helm is so tremendous that I begin to worry for
the crew and boat, the dreaded "death roll" and broaching.  Could it be
that I am no longer using the pole as I almost never have enough skilled
crew?
When we used to fly these in high winds in the old days, we would
balance the spinnaker with a blooper... but that is a real circus act
forward!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes