[C38] difficulty starting

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Wed Nov 17 12:18:24 EST 2010

Patrick,

One possibility is the wiring to the glow plugs and/or the
switch.   The later models include a solenoid for the glow plugs so
that the higher current (about 20a for all three plugs) is not
reliant on the wiring harness and the switch itself.  In my online
search, I learned that people reported a huge difference in the
effectiveness of the glow plugs after installing a solenoid, and a
much shorter "warm up" before starting.  I am in the process of
installing such a solenoid on SuperStar along with replacement of the
engine control panel.

Did you change the engine mounted fuel pump, or the electric "lift"
pump?  Also, do you have problems starting when the engine is warm,
or only when it is cold?

David Epstein
SuperStar #122
Marina del Rey