[C38] Mast leak

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 20 21:15:19 EST 2010

Water on the floor is likely from a leak at the mast partners.  This
needs to be addressed.  There is little to protect the wood that is
inside the fiberglass of the deck at the partners.  Make sure you put a
boot on the mast at least.  You can make a simple one from some canvass
and a large hose clamp.  Simply wrap the canvass around the mast with a
good overlap (4 or 5" should work) then hose clamp it to the mast about
1" above the tophat.  Then fold the canvass down to cover the tophat.
If you want a neater look, you can sew a hem on the canvass before
applying it, and put a seam in the rolled down part after rolling it
down using a curved sailmakers needle.  I suspect that will end the
water on the floor problem.

	However at the earliest opportunity, you should check the wood for
water saturation at the partners and get that cleared out if you find
any water in the wood.  That deck will eventually rot if it has gotten
wet inside.

Regards,
Les H