[C38] flare guns?

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 10 15:20:32 EST 2010

Flare guns firing flares would seem to be potent short range weapons
with potential for lots of collateral damage, no?  A quick Google search
suggests that it would not be wise to fire shot gun shells from them.  I
feel fortunate to live a life in which I do not feel the need to "pack"
or "carry." My pal in Reno is so afraid of the current administration
that he and his wife have spent many thousands of dollars to stockpile
ammunition. I call it their contribution to the stimulus package (unless
the ammo is manufactured abroad).

On 12/10/10 12:16 PM, Jay Sorensen wrote:

> A very good question!  My father is actually a felon in Canada for not
> reporting a firearm (pistol) and then having one found when they
> searched his RV.  He was a 60 year old ex Marine who always "carried"
> on trips but didn't really think about it because he was not a hunter,
> etc.  Talk about embarrassing, and expensive!
>
> My understanding is the bows, crossbows, flareguns, and spearguns, are
> not controlled like firearms and can be kept on board without
> problems.  Just don't use them for fishing without a license!
>
> I thought about using a flare gun as the basis for protection but am
> not sure how to go about it.  Maybe someone out there has some
> experience??  I think a flaregun that fires 00-buckshot would be cool,
> but what about that recoil!
>
> Jay Sorensen
>
> C-38 #311 Broad Reach
>
> San Diego, CA