[C38] Halyards

George B. Suppes, III george at gsuppes.com
Fri Jan 7 00:17:43 EST 2011

I would also suggest considering having a halyard that is long enough to
reach down to the water with enough on the tail to put on the winch.  I made
my spinnaker halyard this way since it is most likely not going to be in use
most of the time.  The reason being so that if I, or someone else fell
overboard, the halyard snap shackle could be clipped to a harness, and the
person in the water could be brought back on board.  If a person overboard
got hurt, or whatever, they might not have the strength they usually do, and
the person left on deck, might not be strong to pull them up.  Just a
thought.

George B.  Suppes, III
Complete Abandon #111
650.921.4712

didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover."

-- Mark Twain