[C38] Cat 38 dues

Anders Finn anders at finn.ws
Sun Feb 20 17:07:27 EST 2011

Rory,

This is actually a pretty good idea. While Marina Bay is in the
sketchiest area of the bay and a bit of a drive from the city, it IS in
a very good place for sailing. It's not as close as Berkeley or SF
marinas, but it won't be quite as crazy packed during the racing.
Following is a list of all the marinas I know of and their distance from
the center of action.

0 miles - Golden Gate Yacht Club (aka. SF, Marina)
4 miles - Treasure Island Yacht Club
5 miles - South Beach Marina
6 miles - Richardson's Point (and all the other Sausalito Clubs)
6 miles -  Ayala Cove (not a marina but you can moor here on Angel Island)
7 miles - Berkeley Yacht Club (and Emmeryville Marinas)
8 miles - Richmond Marinas (including Marina Bay)
9 miles - Alemeda/Oakland Marinas (plus a LOT of motoring, ewww)
12 miles - San Rafel
15 miles - San Leandro Marina
16 miles - Coyote Point Marina

Anything else is tooooooooo far. Now, we compare the transit to/from
city on each:

Golden Gate - Easy, it's right there and is hosting the games  - 5 mintes
Treasure Island - Half way across Bay Bridge, bus and car access - 15-45
minutes
South Beach - Easy walk and public transit (still in SF) - 15 minutes
Sausalito - Car and ferry access Golden Gate bridge IS going to be busy
during the cup - 30-120 minutes
Ayala Cove - No car access, learn to swim, it's on an island - lets see,
a good swimmer swims about 2 mph, so, if you've got the tide with you,
you could be there in an hour, tide against you, you'll be in the pacific
Bekeley and Emmeryville - Easy walk/bike/drive from marina to BART
(subway to SF), 45-60 minutes
Richmond - Easy car drive to BART, 45-60 minutes
Alemeda - I'm really not sure about BART/Bus in this area. I think it's
not BAD though, 60-90 minutes
San Rafel - Car only I think. Can be anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours
San Leandro - No clue.. . I can get there in 30 minutes maybe? Worst 1.5
hours?
Coyote Point - Car or drive to BART, about 25-40 minutes

Now, here's the scoop. In case you didn't know. Parking in San Francisco
is non-existent during these kinds of things for less than $30 a pop.
Your BEST bet is BART in from outside the city and use the MUNI trains
inside the city (or more BART). This makes a couple marinas more
interesting than others. Any one that you can leave your car there or at
a nearby BART station REALLY, REALLY helps. I'll try to work out some
parking for a few cars by then but. . . I still live about a 15 minute
public transit ride into the part of town the Cup is being held.

Anders