[C38] Customized access openings from engine compartment on back

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 08:50:11 EDT 2011

Hello Marci and group,

When I cut out the bottom of my sail locker, I carefully marked the lines I wanted to cut and used a fine tooth blade in a scroll saw. I have several battery powered saws but I used a quality 120v saw.   The utility powered saws are usually stronger, lighter, smaller, and they can't run out of electricity.  I only use my battery powered tools for quick work where battery life isn't important.   I used a fairly long blade front to back for the straight cuts and a thinner blade for the rounded corners.  A good light is needed for a good clean cut.

When I cut my locker, I had not heard of anyone doing it before so I was in foreign territory.  My boat may have been the first to have this procedure.  I cut my locker in 1993 so it was a long time ago to remember specifics but I do recall going through several  hot and worn blades making the cuts. You may want to try wetting the cutting area to see if that will prolong blade life as well as to keep down any glass dust that you really don't want to breathe.  I would wear a mask in any case.

A big concern in cutting out the floor is staying away from the aft outboard side of the floor because you can get too close to the hull where it turns inward under the locker floor.  It's probably not a really good idea to cut through the hull and after I made my cut I was somewhat amazed how close I had actually cut to the hull when I thought I had a lot of clearance.  I have attached another picture of my cut.  My saw blade actually touched the hull making the corner so my cutout was to the maximum using the blade length I had in my saw.

I do remember how apprehensive I was about making this modification but other than getting too close to the hull and also possibly cutting through something under the floor, the operation is a breeze.  Before you cut you can feel or use a mirror and flashlight to inspect under where your cuts will be.

Later when I overhauled my transmission, I actually sat between the steering quadrant and transmission in the engine compartment to remove the bolts, shaft coupling, etc.   What would have been an impossible job became relatively easy for my 5'9" height.  Once the transmission was completely uncoupled, it was fairly easy to just slide and lift it out through the sail locker.  Once you make this access modification, anything you do regarding access to the transmission, heat exchanger or steering area will become infinitely easier.

Tom Troncalli
Ex owner hull #95 Renata