[C38] Bilge Stories

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:25:48 EDT 2011

here's mine:

On a rece about three years ago, the packing nut came loose and then free,
so lots of water filled the bilge up to the floorboards. I had regular bilge
pump switches under the chart table, which were turned off by someones knee.
I lost that race for 25 sec. on corrected time with about 50 or more gallons
of sea water on the bilge....  when I noticed, just turned on the switches
and that was it. A few week later, I installed real bilge pump switches with
lights and alarms. Also installed the high water alarm system.
Then, a year later the boat that beat me on that race, a Hunter Legend 375,
turned out to be a 37, wich is a lot faster, so, despite flood, I won that
race!! That was the first one... That reminds me that I have to ask that guy
for my trophy!!LOL

MAx

2011/10/3 Larry Malmberg <Larrypi at roadrunner.com>

> **
> Well, I have to chime in here with my bilge story.  After completing the
> Trans Pac in 09 I had hired a delivery crew to bring Hassle back to Long
> Beach CA.  It took them 22 days to come back, three guys who shall remain
> nameless in this posting.  LOL  The skipper called me and said that they
> were back and Hassle was in the slip.  I thought "great news indeed" as I
> had not heard from them at all during the trip even thought we had a sat
> phone on board and I had asked them to call me periodically on the way
> back.  The skipper didn't want to run up a sat phone bill!  LOL
>
> The next morning I got a call from a live aboard two slips down from
> Hassle, she told me that she had gone to the shower in the morning and took
> a look at Hassle as Hassle was back in her slip, on the way back to her boat
> she noticed that Hassle was sitting low in the water!  I gave her the combo
> to the lock and asked her to look inside which she did.  "Larry, there's
> about four inches of water in the cabin!" she exclaimed.  Yipes I thought, I
> told her where the switch was to put the bilge pump on manual and she tried
> it, no such luck, it wasn't working at all.  She called a few friends and
> subsequently the local fire department which came and started pumping out
> the cabin and bilge.  I live about 70 miles from Long Beach so I called the
> skipper who delivered her as he lives closer to Long Beach, his exclamation
> of, "Dam the bilge pump wasn't working" shocked me to say the least.  He
> actually left the boat at the dock with a non working bilge pump.  Needless
> to say he was there shortly and fixed the problem, a bad float switch
> but.....
>
> Speaking of bad float switches, we had one fail on the return this year as
> well, had to jump it out and go manual from time to time as it was one of
> the things I didn't have a spare for, do now though.  LOL
>

> Best regards,
>
> Larry Malmberg
> Team Hassle

Max Soto