[C38] boom brake?

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu May 24 00:22:13 EDT 2012

I made a boom preventer based on a Don Casey design,  I put a bail on
the aft end of the boom (Very Important to attach to the end of the boom
not the middle) attached to it a spliced dynema line that is about 7
feet long, it stores along the boom when not used,  then a large block
with webbing attached that attaches to the bow cleat, a line runs
through it attaches to the dynema line outside of the spreaders, the
tail of the line it is cleated near the cockpit.   To jibe undo the
cleat, jibe, walk up to the boom unattach, walk it around the mast,
outside the spreaders reattach then tighten the line and cleat.   Make
sure what ever you do is at the end of the boom, if the boom should go
in the water when attached at mid point that is where the load will
transfer and bend your boom.

Steve