[C38] Alpha autopilot photos

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 27 10:08:46 EDT 2012

Max: The Alpha installation was done by Richmond Boat Works (now owned
by KKMI) for the previous owner. It was very professional and works
extremely well, when it works ---that is. The problem is that the
mechanism needs regular service. The mechanism has to be checked for
loosening bolts and set screws and it has to be greased at least once a
year. I have solved the loosing bolt and set screw problem with Loctite
(blue, not red!). However, even blue Loctite makes the thing extremely
difficult to take apart when you have to do so to fix or service
something. To access the mechanism one has to lie on ones back behind
the engine. I'm not very large and do fit. However, anyone approaching 6
ft or 200 lbs simply would not fit. Luckily my engine, the Yanmar 3GM,
is small and I can poke my feet on either side of the engine to work on
the autopilot. The restricted space back there is the only downside of
our boats, from my point of view.