[C38] Solid Vang / Main Halyard Question

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:50:55 EST 2012

Hi Mark, and Happy Holidays to you as well...and everyone else!

I would suggest looking into the Garhauer solid vang before buying a
boomkicker. Ultimately it's your choice, but I've had one for two (three?)
seasons and it works great...affordable too.

When I added the solid vang I ran everything back to the cockpit, which
required an additional winch and set of rope clutches. I run my main
halyard on one side and the sheet on the other.  If you try to cleat off
the sheet for the hoist you may get in trouble if you're in a blow and then
have to switch it to the winch as it's banging around or under load. If you
really don't want to get another winch for the cabin top, you could run the
halyard through a "turning block" (read: deck organizer type sheave) to one
of the primary winches, but it would be a bit awkward.

Finally, you may not have enough length in the halyard to lead it back when
the shackle is clipped to the boon end (you want to take the load of the
vang/kicker when you're not sailing).

Steve Ribble
Tittravate #64

Steve Ribble