[C38] Universal M30/5424 reduction ratio -- Prop size

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 5 17:58:18 EDT 2013

Max made a good point about the ration not being 2:1.

As a note on gear rations, transmissions almost always use gears with
oddball ratios so the teeth will hit a different opposing tooth on every
revolution which helps give even wear and reduces harmonic chatter from
eventual uneven wear.  A true 2:1 ratio would allow the teeth to hit the
same opposing teeth on every other rotation of the smaller gear where a
odd tooth gear against an even tooth gear will give more rotations
before the same teeth will mesh again.  This is why one gear most often
has an even number of teeth and the other an odd number of teeth.

This is why differentials on cars have oddball ratio numbers like 4:11,
3:73, etc.

Most gears today are helical cut (angled) which makes a longer contact
between teeth to eliminate the chatter of straight teeth hitting each
other.  Performance motorcycles have straight cut gears and they make a
loud whine you can easily hear.

Although helical gears reduces noise, they create gear side thrust which
robs horsepower, creates heat and shortens the life of the
transmission.  The Navy got around this problem with their ship
transmissions by bolting two helical gears back to back, one mirror
image of the other, to make a single gear.  They did this with both the
drive and driven gear in matched sets.  Since the helicals of the gears
were mirror image of each other, any side thrust was canceled out   The
gears were also bolted a half tooth staggered so there was even less
tooth chatter than from a single row helical gear.  It is almost
impossible to machine these double sided gears without resorting to back
to back mirror image gears bolted together.

Some of these marine transmissions were built during WWII and are still
in service today without ever having been overhauled.

Tom Troncalli
Mental depository of worthless trivia