[C38] The big renovation

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 28 13:15:24 EST 2014

Hello Greg,

I'm sorry you are having to spend so much time and money on #95 but I am
certainly glad to know she is now in good hands.  As a previous owner,
we dearly loved that boat and had many years of fun and enjoyment with her.

The running gear is now old but I am surprised the engine needs
overhauling.  She seemed tight when I owned her but she is now older so
it may be time.

I had a flywheel flex plate failure once when trying to move the boat to
a better location with approaching hurricane Charlie.  I was idling
slowly and just lost forward power like the transmission was in
neutral.  I ended up having to tow the boat with my dinghy. After the
threat was over, I pulled the transmission and rebuilt it and replaced
the failed flex plate and also the shaft coupling at that time with PYI
products.

The reason the original flex plate on the flywheel failed is because the
original Universal flex plates had a problem with the springs fatiguing
and breaking.  When they did, the flex plate would no longer drive the
transmission.  The PYI system uses synthetic material which they claim
is more dependable than steel springs but also the two parts of the flex
plate are captive to each other so even if the cushion material did fail
the boat would not be stranded since the flex plate would still drive
the transmission.  It seems to be a fool proof design.  Unless Universal
has changed their design, I would stay with the PYI flex plate you have
or replace it with a new one like it.  The PYI flex plate also claims to
better absorbs diesel vibration than the steel springs which can help
save the transmission gears and make for a quieter drive train.

When you pull the mast, you will have to loosen the three heavy
lightning protection cables going into the bilge from inside the mast.
You will have problems removing the forward cable of the three unless
you first remove the toilet holding tank for access to that clamp on the
forward keel stud.  To replace the mast tie leader lines to the cable
ends and tape them well to the cable to feed the cables back into the
bilge as the yard lowers the mast back into place.  This requires at
least one person inside the cabin to pull the leader lines but it was
not a problem.

The toilet holding tanks on the Catalina 38 were flat on the bottom and
mounted on a curved hull with no support in the middle which caused mine
to fail in heavy seas on a trip to Key West.

After that trip, I replaced the original holding tank with another
exactly like it but I bedded it in expanding foam between the tank and
hull for better support which eliminated flexing.  I first wrapped the
new tank in plastic sheet so it should be easy to remove and not stick
to the foam stuck to the hull.  The original tanks were glassed in on
the sides which made for a hard job to remove but your tank was
reinstalled using removable aluminum angle to hold it in place so other
than those #$%^& hoses, it should be easily removed.  A good heat gun
will help greatly removing and replacing those odor free hoses.

Your boat has better than average lightning protection because I kept
her in St. Pete Florida which is in the area known as the "lightning
capital of the world."  Your area has plenty of lightning also but I am
convinced that every boat should have the best lightning protection
possible.  A carbon fiber masted racing boat got a direct hit on a dock
about 125' from us and suffered total mast destruction and thousands of
dollars of other expense.  Our boat nearby suffered no damage, even to
our electronics. We were lucky but several other boats even farther from
the hit lost plenty of electronics.  I believe the good ground of our
standing rigging helped us avoid damage.

Good luck and keep the group posted on your progress.

Tom Troncalli