[C38] Potential C38 Buyer

Daniel Haughey djphawk at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 13:41:20 EDT 2015

Hello all,
I just yesterday, went to view a 1983 C-38.  what a pretty boat!  Well I crawled all over it for about 2 hours.  It was in need of some updates.  Old electronics, very old roller furler,  standing rigging would need replaced, cushions would need replaced.  All this I expect from just about any boat of about this vintage.  On standing rigging, sails, plumbing, unless they are listing it as replaced and giving a date of replacement with proof, will most likely need done.  I take these things as important and I never listen to "the sails look good"  LOL  anyway, my major concerns are some flexing and crazing in the sole just outside the head around the bilge cover and mast step.  also, some photos I snapped in the bilge appear to show some mast step separation and gaps between the hull.  There is also a few inches of water in the bilge.  No doubt there all winter freezing and thawing.  I did note accessibility to things like the engine and quadrant to be very tight.  So maintenance and servicing is going to be an exercise in contortion-ism...
Also the roller furler is extremely old and pitted and at the top the extrusion is actually worn away.  How much would a new furler set me back?  $4k?
I'm thinking the boat will need a healthy investment just to bring it all back to good, known condition of the important stuff and replacing the old, original cushions and a really good detailing.
Are there any other nuances I should be aware of?  Is the mast step a known issue?  could the sole crazing be an indication of something bigger?
I really appreciate any and all tips, suggestions, insights and comments I can get.
I should probably mention that this will be my 3rd sailboat in about 8 years.  Both of the previous boat needed complete rehabs which I did, mostly myself and turned both of them into very nice, marketable vessels.  The last being a 1973 Viking 33 I sold in only 6 weeks!  I'm not afraid of a little work but I really don't want another basket case.  Standing rigging, sails and cushions are done by other.  Maintaining a boat would be a pleasure instead of fixing everything!

Best regards,DannyBoat shopping in Massachusetts