[C38] Water in the Bilge

Mark Lewis mwlewis2025 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 14:50:26 EST 2020

Richard,

My Cat 38 always had water up to the bilge float switch.  I'd vacuum it out
and bleach it for sanitary reasons every few months.  In addition to the
mast, not just the boot, but the halyard openings, there is the prop shaft
and rudder seals that can leak, as well as the rails if the seals are
old/cracked.  Also, the fridge/freezer has a small drain hole to allow
water to drain to the bilge.  All in all, nothing to be concerned about
unless it's excessive, i.e. the bilge pump runs excessively.