[C38] rudder stock/post seal leaking issues

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Thu Apr 1 16:55:53 EDT 2021

The fiberglass tube wear is a known problem that most of us have come to
live with.  The wear also leads to more slop in the wheel and that is
why I inserted mylar shims to take out the slop.  It was a big job as I
had to dig a hole for the rudder while it was on the hard and work the
shims in as I moved the rudder post up and down to get them in and
seated.  It worked well and I have much less slop (it is not like having
a bearing which is what should have been done, but I couldn't figure out
how to install a bearing given the space and tube integrity with the
hull.  I still have a leak as my stern stoops under acceleration and
when on a tack...

Good luck!
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114